Netgalley - the easy route to an ARC?

I got a bit excited.  I realised that you can review books before they are published!!!  This seemed like the holy grail.  The super bloggers get access to ARC's (Advanced Reading Copies).  I had dreams of books being posted to me.  Unfortunately I am not a super blogger but a complete newbie and I am not sure if that actually happens (as in real books that you can touch dropping through the letterbox) but I did find www.netgalley.com

NetGalley

"NetGalley delivers digital galleys, often called advance reading copies, or ARCs, to professional readers and helps promote new and upcoming titles. Professional readers--reviewers, media, journalists, bloggers, librarians, booksellers and educators--can join and use NetGalley at no cost."

So I joined.  I linked to my blog.  And then I blindly started looking through the available books.  But apparently you have to build a profile in terms of reviews before they will just let you read anything.  So I pressed the "wish for it" button on several (which I think means that there are hundreds of people in the request queue already) otherwise known as begging.  Actually the "request" button is probably the same begging but perhaps higher up the queue and maybe the publisher will see my request.  Perhaps.

Then I found that they have a catalogue of helpful articles including http://blog.netgalley.com/before-you-request and basically encourage you to read the expectations of publishers in terms of their approval preferences (that threw me as the one I liked said they could only share e-copies in the US and I would have to find the UK publisher).  Then I discovered the helpful category known as Read now.  Ace, download it and you're done.

After a bit of configuration, I downloaded "The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted" on my kindle and android phone thinking it would be a soppy romance to give me a break from what has turned in to an obsession for historical fiction.  There were a few irritating things (about the process, not the book) , primarily that the kindle did not sync with the phone version (anyone know a way round this?) but hey, it is not enough to distract from the opportunity.  As you will see from my review, it turned out to be a brilliant book (and it was historical fiction).  And thank you to the Twitter community for helping me out when it came to what to use as a picture - @mobileleeds to my rescue again!

The review has been copied to the netgalley site.  I've requested/begged to be considered for reviews and will see what happens now.  What are your thoughts on the netgalley experience?  Is it a fabulous resource?  Or is it just another way to distract me from my reading list?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I write this sitting in the kitchen sink; what is a classic?

To review or not to review?

The Macroodelzig by Beffy Parkin